Rev2 8 Voice Desktop
A Modern Classic Reinvented
The Prophet Rev2 desktop module is just as powerful and easy to use as its counterpart, the Prophet Rev2 keyboard. The module has the same controls with the same the same ease of use as the keyboard version. Best of all, it sounds just as awesome, because it’s exactly the same on the inside — Dave Smith’s reimagining of his now-classic Prophet ’08 poly synth.
The Prophet Rev2 retains all of the key features of the Prophet ’08 and expands on them. It has twice the polyphony, twice the mod matrix, waveshape modulation on all waveforms, digital effects per layer in stacked or split voice mode, a polyphonic step sequencer per layer, and more. The result is a true analog powerhouse.
You can download any of the many existing libraries of Prophet ’08 sounds and they will not only sound identical, but can be enhanced with the new features.
8 or 16-Voice Polyphony with an upgrade
With 16 voices to play with, you have the freedom to allocate them as you wish. Play two-fisted chords via your MIDI controller, stack two 8-voice sounds for massive, complex textures, or split your controller into two completely separate 8-voice Prophet Rev2 instruments. An 8-voice version of the desktop module is also available, which, like the Prophet Rev2 keyboard, can later be expanded to 16-voices with the Expander Kit if desired.
The Prophet Rev2 gets its bold, punchy sound from its 2/4 pole, low-pass, resonant Curtis filters per voice. These are the same filters used not only in the Prophet ’08, but in many classic instruments of the 70’s and 80’s. A separate Audio Mod control adds additional harmonic complexity and movement.
A powerful new feature unique to the Prophet Rev2 is waveshape modulation. You can now vary the “pulse width” of any of the four waveforms (sawtooth, saw+tri, triangle, square). Using the Shape Mod control, you can manually dial in a desired waveshape width or use an LFO or other mod source for continuously shifting timbre. Even single-oscillator sounds take on new depth and dimension. The tonal possibilities are vast.
Effects Per Layer
The effects section provides reverb, delays (standard and BBD), chorus, phase shifter, ring modulation, and distortion. In stacked or split voice mode, you can apply a different effect to each layer. Effects parameters can be modulated through the Mod Matrix.
Extended Mod Matrix
Also present from its predecessor is an easy-to-assign Mod Matrix, now twice as big, with 8 individual slots and many more sources/destinations. It’s a veritable sound designer’s playground.
Poly Step Sequencing
The polyphonic step sequencer allows up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. You can create a different sequence for each layer when you are working in stacked or split voice mode, making it a powerful tool for composition or performance. The sequencer also functions as a modulation source in gated mode, allowing you to create up to 4 different 16-step sequences for complex modulation. Sequences allow ties and rests, and can sync to an external MIDI clock. The arpeggiator features note repeats, re-latching, and can be synced to external MIDI clock, as well.
The knob-per-function front panel offers instant access to Prophet Rev2 functions. Included are 512 permanent factory programs and 512 rewritable user programs.
Prophet Rev2 Specifications
- 2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice (plus sub octave on oscillator 1) with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation)
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
- White noise generator
- Analog VCAs
- Hard sync
- 1 analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode)
- 3 envelope generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.
- Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests. Separate 16 x 4 gated step sequencer. Each layer can have a separate sequence.
- 4 LFO’s with key sync per LFO
- 8-slot modulation matrix
- 22 sources
- 53 destinations
- 5 additional dedicated sources: mod wheel, pressure, velocity, breath controller, footswitch
- Programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Selectable note value: 16th note, 8th note triplet, 8th note, dotted 8th note, quarter note
- One, two, or three octave range
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Note repeat
- 55 knobs and 35 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
- 512 Factory Programs (4 banks of 128) and 512 fully editable User Programs with 2 layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program
- MIDI In, Out, Thru
- Main stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Output B stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
- Headphone output: 1/4″ stereo phone jack.
- IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 22 watts maximum (17 watts for 8-voice configuration; 22 watts for 16-voice configuration)
- Oiled African mahogany wood end panels
- Dimensions: 7.9″ (20 cm) W x 21.6″ (54.8 cm) L x 3.3″ (8.4 cm) H
- Weight: 7.5 lbs. (3.4 kg)